Sunday 11 July 2010

Day 39 – 17th June 2010

Today is the long swim to the Marina, therefore, no morning swim! I can’t believe I am attempting the Marina and back; it was only a few weeks ago I thought it impossible! We shall see.

I met Fiona at midday at the Arches. The weather is nice, warm and bright. The sea however was colder than yesterday; what’s that all about! In preparation for the swim I took my three drinks, plus porridge and a banana; feel a little too full up (didn’t tell her!) However Fiona told me I didn’t drink enough water; I should have listened!!

We swam from the groin, under the pier (keeping close to the waters edge) and then all the way through to the Marina. We touched the Marina wall, getting odd looks from the fisherman, and then turned around and swam back, touching the groin again; a full out and back. Total distance circa 4 miles and we did it in just under 2 hours; not bad at all; in fact flipping amazing.

My problem however was that before we reached the Marina I developed bad cramp in both my legs in the calf areas. This lasted all the way back, and in fact now 2 hours later I am still hurting from the cramp. The rest of me was fine; I felt strong and focused most of the whole swim. When I told Fiona about the cramp she said she would not have guessed and that I did amazingly well to swim through it; however she said that the cramp was a direct result of me not drinking enough water. I think it’s time I started to learn that lesson!!! The cramp really almost stopped me completing the swim; I do not want that to happen again.

I’m going to still go to Falmer tonight and just do some gentle lengths to stretch out and practice my breathing, then a short time in the steam room. Then tomorrow I’ll go in the morning as usual, but just once round the pier in a sprint. Yey me on that swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment