Sunday 11 July 2010

Day 3 – 28th April 2010

Despite yesterday, which bugged me all through the night into the weee hours, I have come back for more.

A guy I met a few months back is a member of the Brighton Swimming Club, Bob Bicknall, really top guy. He’s been swimming for years (probably most of my life) and for 50 something he’s in incredible shape. Fiona not here today so Bob is kindly swimming with me as I am not allowed to go out on my own yet; quite right!

Temperature still the same, fewer than 7 degrees. Small waves, quite slappy on the head. However we did swim further today and even went under the pier and then back through the pier and back to shore. That was a neat experience.

I used new flippers and a swimming hat for the first time and other goggles. The goggles were better but still crap. New goggles hopefully come today from the internet. I actually really enjoyed it! Actually felt I understood why they do it! Bob told me to relax if I got into a panic; he said just lie on your back and float it out, or let yourself drift a bit to shore or swim to the pier and climb up the stairs; either way you can get out. As soon as he said that it made perfect sense and the fear went away; nice!

I met Angus briefly. He’s swimming channel this august. He’s been training since 2007 (a lot longer than I’ve got), but like me he was a non swimmer. Brave man!

I arranged to meet Mark Shepherd, Fiona’s swimming trainer this Saturday, to swim and plan training. Now it really begins!

Good day today; feeling quite happy about it.

After work at 5pm I did a 5.4k run in 31mins around hove park up King George and home. That’ll do!

No comments:

Post a Comment