Sunday 11 July 2010

Day 1 – 26th April 2010

My first day ever into the sea as a “swimmer” rather than a paddler. What makes me think I can swim in the sea in April, let alone swim the English Channel? Am I so conceited that I think I can achieve anything? Maybe I am! But then again I could follow the saying “if you believe you can or if you believe you can’t, either way you are right” – so here I go.

7.00am and I met Fiona Southwell (Channel Swimmer – amazing lady) on the beach outside the Brighton Swimming Club Arch, just next to the Brighton Pier. I’m extremely nervous; firstly about swimming this morning, but secondly about emerging from the Arches in my Speedos looking rather pale, not muscled and being a non swimmer – not one for the photo album I think!
We went in for exactly 12 minutes, which apparently was good as Fiona said 2 minutes would be enough on my first day, as it’s less than 7 degrees. The waves were as tall as me and “COLD”!

I had to walk in backwards as the waves were high and for the first time since I was in Egypt 4 years ago in 50 degrees I found myself unable to breath! It seems extreme heat and extreme cold both take your breath away! After about 2 minutes I could breathe properly, but boy it was cold. Other swimmers went in, but most came out before us and a few had on full body costumes.

We swam to the groin and back, which seemed miles away, but in reality, was only a few meters!

For the first time in my life I realised the sea really needs to taste like hot coffee; not sure even I can pull that one off!

After swim I had a shower in the Arches and then proceeded to shiver uncontrollably for about an hour! Apparently in this temperature it’s not unusual to shiver for quite some time. I also found it a little hard to speak clearly; which apparently is very mild hypothermia. Interesting stuff!!

What a pleasant experience today wasn’t!

No comments:

Post a Comment