Thursday 5 August 2010

Day 60 – 26th July 2010


Back to swimming today after a few days off (as instructed – it seems I can listen!).

I saw Kim the Physio last week and she was great; if a little rough on me! She took down all my info and then spent about 90 minutes hurting me. She knew “exactly” which muscle was related to my groin strain (somewhere in my lower back) and then totally hit the spot on my shoulder – amazing. It was really good to meet a physio that is swimming trained.

After a few days off I went back to the sea today. We had a really nice weekend, Saturday Sharon was working, so I had the 3 little Starrs and I took them to throw stones in the sea (I just can’t keep away) and then Sunday we visited friends in Bristol for the day; very relaxing weekend. So I was ready to swim today, ready, willing and definitely able. I kept it fairly quick so as not to over use the arm; just the 3 buoys, then round the pier and then back. The arm and groin groaned a little, but I was fine. The sea was warm (cold patches around though) and a little choppy, but basically nice. Just me today as Bob is away for a few days.

After my swim I had another physio appointment with Kim; not physiotherapists but physioterrorists I think! Boy did it hurt. But she is amazing and afterwards my shoulder and groin felt so much better. I’m seeing her again on Thursday for more of the same pain! She is also going to write me a gym training plan; what a result.

Bad news of the day was Angus! He is meant to be swimming the channel in 3 weeks – he’s been training since 2007 and working so very hard. At the weekend he was knocked of his cycle by a lorry and has broken his arm! He is naturally devastated. He is trying to see if somehow he can still do it, but god knows how! I really feel for him.

Other channel news is that apparently today a lady swam the channel in 28 hours + 45 minutes! She was 52 years old and only 5 years ago had a gastric band fitted as she was so overweight. That is the longest swim ever and not a record I want to break! I don’t know any more about her at the moment, but have got to find out – 29 hours, amazing to be able to do that; makes my 4 hours last week a little pathetic!

After work I did a 12 mile run; well a walk and run! As usual I didn’t eat or drink and didn’t take any water with me. I was OK for about 8 miles, but then was depleted. That’s unusual for me as I usually can do more than that on an empty stomach, but the swim this morning must have used up my reserves. When will I learn?! I ended up after 8 miles doing 15 minute walk then 15 minute run. When I eventually got home the house was empty and I had forgotten my keys – serves me right I guess. All I could do was sit in my drive with my head under an old tap hidden in the corner and try to drink some water and cool myself down. It was about 26 degrees and very hot and there I was crouched in the corner of the drive trying to get water from an old tap – not exactly what I would call an athlete!!!!

Oh well, maybe tomorrow I’ll try again with some food and drink in me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment