Wednesday 21 September 2011

Day 340 - 21st September 2011


An unwelcome sky this morning; windy, grey, dark and that very fine rain that soaks you all the way through.  Still us hardened sea swimmers are never put of by such conditions.


At the arch, soaked, by 7.00am.  A few there today, a couple going to head around the pier, some staying close to shore (not advisable with waves that big!) and Big Bob and I heading off towards west street and the Brighton centre (about a mile swim in total I would guess, not taking into account the tide).  

The waves breaking at shore were quite big so we entered near the groin and then swam out about 150 metres and then headed along to the Brighton centre.   The sea was really choppy, some very powerful waves, however they were too big to be slappy and as such breathing seemed easy and relaxed.  Both of us swam really well, basically staying together the whole way and really swimming with heads down and crashing through the waves as if they were hardly a challenge at all.  Once at the Centre we turned and headed straight back.  Considering how much sea and space there was out there it was crazy that we kept swimming into each other; sometimes that does happen.  So I decided to take the outside line and let him swim shore side.  The waves were so high that a couple of times when I looked to my left to see him I found that he was way below me; almost as if I was on the top of an escalator and he was at the bottom; then a second later we were level again.  Amazing to see that and to be engulfed by it.  

The total swim was about 35-40 minutes. I think it was one of the best swims I can remember this year.  Totally felt safe, really had to work hard and the sea throwing challenges from all directions; a perfect morning swim actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment