Thursday 8 September 2011

Day 333 - Thursday 8th September 2011


Sadly not the scolding 14 degrees I was hoping for today; instead a cooling 13.4 degrees.  Also, as per the rest of the week, very windy and “huge” swells! 
Not wanting to wimp out again, Shoichi and I headed out on our beach whilst the other headed for the girly beach.  Oddly enough, due to the wind direction, the girly beach had bigger waves at the shore s very quickly the other lot were back on our beach.  Shoichi and I got in fine, a bit of planning, but no problem and then we swam out to the first buoy. In these conditions it was a hell of a battle though and what usually takes about 3-4 minutes took about 15.  The waves were all over the place and coming from the sides and the back and as such it was a case of being thrown around all over the place.  Having got to the buoy it was then a quick turn around and heading back to shore.  Shoichi, being a stronger swimmer than me, managed to swim against the tide back to the groin, which is a safer place to land because of the way the beach is set under the sea.  Unfortunately for me I had to go where the tide took me, which was centre of our beach.  Ultimately I got out fine, but it was quite hair raising and at one point I found myself able to stand too far out, which meant that the sea had quickly pulled out, which in turn meant a huge wave coming in.  Sensing this I turned quickly and saw a massive (truly a wall of water) bearing down on me, it was so tall I couldn’t see the sky above it.  All I could do, which is the safest thing, is dive through it and swim out to sea again.  Having done that I then turned back to shore and swam at full pace until I hit the stones safely; each moment glancing behind me in case another one was coming.  A swim not for the faint of heart! 
All done and showered, Big Bob, Mike and I headed of to the Red Roaster for strong coffee and time to come down from the storm; then it was off to London for meetings for me.  Sadly when getting to the station the train was delayed because someone has been hit by a train; it seems my morning, however crazy, was somewhat safer than his.  Once again perspective raises it’s head on the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment