Tuesday 20 September 2011

Day 339 - 20th September 2011


Having had a 7.30am meeting in the diary, I had to be at the beach and in the sea by 6.15am. I was a tired lonely soul walking down the beach in near darkness and building winds.  I got to the beach edge, middle of the beach which was silly, and tried to wade in.  The first few waves made me back away as they were rather large, but as soon as a gap appeared I headed in.  The next wave however was a bit of a monster and before I had a chance to dive in I was knocked of my feet onto my bun and dragged up the beach.  Anyone watching that would have no doubt had considered me a mad fool.  Picking myself up I headed of to the donut groin, where the waves are never as crazy and was able to safely get in.  From there I swam against the tide and managed to make it to the Brighton Centre; not an easy swim!  Took me about 35 minutes of hard battling.  I then turned and headed back to our beach and that only took about 5 minutes I think!  Coming back to the groin I was joined by my relay buddy Shoichi.  As he headed out to sea on his own (not only me being crazy!) I headed back and safely landed neat the groin.  Swim done and all showered and dressed, it was of to work I went.


By the way, the Starr Scholar became Starr Scholar’s (plural).  We just couldn’t separate two of them, they were both so different but both so worthy.  It was such a tough meeting to decide, but the end result was so exciting.  Also to see how we can support the other 19 projects from our current funds was incredible.  However fundraising needs to continue in earnest, we still have so many more children we can help smile and I must hit out £100,000 target.

No comments:

Post a Comment