Friday 6 January 2012

Swimming day 400 - Friday 6th January 2011



Oh my goodness my legs!! 
Last night I met with Jamie at the arch and we went for a little run.  I say “little” with as much sarcasm as my fingers can type.  Not only can the boy run distance but he can do it at speed as well; for my part I did all I could to keep up.  We ended up at Shoreham harbour wall before running back!  Not sure of exact distance but most definitely well into double figures and fast.  Having not run for about three months I am this morning walking like John Wayne after he’s crossed the deserts on his trusted steed without stopping for three long nights!  Perhaps a 2 hour pool swim earlier that morning has added to my aches as well.  Afterwards we grabbed a very much needed cold beer and had a long chat; a great guy is Jamie and very much an inspiration when it comes to someone who has the ability to just keep going.
This morning, struggling out of bed at 6.40am I was still back at the arch for 7.10am and was pleased to see a decent number there (4 lovely ladies 4 of us chaps) and a relatively calm sea at very long last.  Apart from some big swells right at the shore it was safe and easy to get in and get out.  For the first time this week we could actually swim in the sea; but boy was it cold.  When I went to go in I was faced with quite a large wave so there was no time to gingerly acclimatise, it was a dive straight in to it or be swept away.  This resulted in a “arrggg” shock to the system and most definitely woke me up!  I did a fairly quick swim; beach to donut groin and back, but it was good to be back in and for a short time it took away the pain from my beaten up legs. 
After work I’ve got an hour in the gym with Ross, so I’ll have to make sure we do no leg work at all and that we use at least half the session on stretching only, otherwise tomorrow I doubt I’ll even be able to walk!  Afterwards I may head into the pool for a “slow” 30 minute set of lengths just to warm down.  On the plus side it’s been an extremely good week of exercise and has go me both back into the pool and into my running shoes.  I am sure though that I’m much too old for all this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment