Thursday 5 January 2012

Swimming day 399 - Thursday 5th January 2012


Sadly hurricane weather continues to batter the coast so rather than waste my time heading to a sea that doesn’t want visitors I headed to Falmer for the pool.  Whilst I miss the morning meet with my friends at the arch, I need to get as much pool time in as possible now and as I’ve now started it is best to keep going.  I’ll still hit the beach, but will limit it to times when it is possible to get it; sadly no pilcharding for a while (is that a word??).
I was at Falmer and in the pool at 7am (Damien from BSC just leaving the pool at that time – clearly avoiding the sea like moi).  I was most pleased to find the Outside pool open and only one person in it.  Grabbing my own favourite lane by the far side I did an hour or constant lengths, followed by 30 minutes of speed lengths – 2 lengths then 30 second rest and repeat.  At the start of the speed lengths I was doing about 24 seconds per double length and by the end I was doing 19 seconds per double length.  It was good that despite getting tired I was speeding up.  As the outdoor pool is only 20 metres it equates to around 10 seconds per length, which is 1 second per metre.  I have no idea though if this is quick or slow or quick quick slow or otherwise.  When Big Bob is back I’ll have to find out what he does (probably twice that speed!).
After work today I’m heading to the arch to meet up with Jamie Goodhead my channel swimming friend – he did the channel in 19 hours last year getting pulled out about 200 metres from landing! He’s trying again next year the crazy fool.  We are going to go for a long run (probably 10miles or something) then off for a drink so I can hear all about his swim.
Tomorrow I’ll hopefully get to the beach in the morning (if hurricane Brighton allows), then it’s an hour on abs and shoulders with Ross at 5pm followed by yet another hour in the pool. If I don’t end up super fit and super fast by the end of the year I will ask for my money and time back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment