Tuesday 22 November 2011

Swimming day 374 - Tuesday 22nd November 2011


Had a rough night last night with my crones.  I was OK all day at work, then after work I used the gym at home for an hour and again was fine.  I possibly worked too hard as when I was finished I was sweating like a sweaty thing and my stomach muscles were feeling very contracted.  About two hours later the pains started and then they continued until the morning.  It naturally deprives you of sleep and leaves you feeling very sore, but worst than that is the lack of energy; it really does deplete you.
As such I didn’t want to do an around the pier swim this morning as the fear factor for me is getting half a mile out to sea and then the pain starting again and taking away what little energy I’ve got; especially in a cold swim which depletes you anyway.  Luckily my swimming partner Big Bob was kind enough to stick with me at my suggestion we don’t go around.  We headed out (in a very calm, flat and tideless sea) to just past the silver ball, then through to the other side, then back down the pier and through again to our side (pretty much the same route as yesterday).  It meant we were only about a quarter mile out and very quickly were heading back to shore.  We got back in about 16 minutes, which was bit too quick, so we took another 10 minutes to swim (right at the shore) to the donut groin and back; total time about 25 minutes and sea temperature up again to 10 degrees exactly.  Sea swimming, especially in cold water, does wonders for the crones.  Even though it can’t give me the energy it does take away the pains; which itself is a wonderful thing.
After work today I’ve got an hour in the gym with my trainer.  I’ll still do that, but if it starts to cause any pain I’ll have to give my apologies and end it early.  Hopefully though by the end of the day all will be fine and I’ll be back to strength (as long as I manage to get something to eat before then of course).
Other news is that Richard Bates (my solicitor) completed his Death Valley Cycle (cycling through the deserts in Nevada) for the Trust.  A massive personal challenge for Richard and an incredible fund raiser; almost at his £6,000 target so far.  He’s is such an amazing chap; a great supporter of the Trust, a good friend to me personally and an inspiration to anyone who wants to take on an extreme challenge.  You can check out his blog on http://deadmencycling.blogspot.com/ - do have a read, well worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment