Wednesday 9 November 2011

Swimming day 366 - Wednesday 9th November 2011




Sentiment of the day – “so pleased I’m back”
I said this at 7.50am with utter sincerity as soon as I was able to stand again by the shore.
At the arch by 7am and waited for Big Bob for a 7.15ish start.  James, Bob and I headed straight into the sea, diving through some fairly big waves to get away from shore and our into the sea.  The air was cold, probably under 10 degrees and it was raining lightly again; the sun not quite breaking through gave it a slightly eerie feel.  The water temperature was just 11 degrees exactly, so once again a little lower than the day before.    Unlike yesterday however which was completely flat, today was very rocky out there, with waves very constant and high and building by the minute.  The swim out was good actually; I felt strong and able and was enjoying the battle against the waves to make it forward.  Heading around the end of the pier was somewhat harder though as the waves were bigger by then and you often find that at the end of the pier it’s quite a tumble of waves from all directions and a lot of peaks and troughs as the waves crash into the pier head.  Coming around the other side I started to feel tired and the cold was just settling in a bit.  By the time I had cleared the pier and was around the steps heading back under the pier to our side I was really feeling it and having to battle on.  It was at this point I looked around for Bob and James; just to see if I was keeping a good speed or not.  Luckily for us James wears a wetsuit and a bright orange hat so is very visible and I could spot him quickly and then see Bob next to him.  They were parallel to me, just further along to the groin whilst I had stayed closer to the pier.  By the time I got to the Pier sign I was really shattered and could easily have “got out”; of course being out in the sea in a high tide there is nowhere to go!  So on I had to plod until I was able to put my feet down; which was basically right at the shore.  Was I pleased to be back !!!

Once again another crazy and energetic (and somewhat risky) start to the day; and once again another victory against the sea and against common sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment