Friday 12 August 2011

Day 313 - Friday 12th August 2011


After a night of electric shocks in my leg once again (most of the bloomin night it was) I was wondering if I would be able to swim and run today; desperate to try out my new running shoes. I hobbled to the Arch for 7am and luckily by the time I got there my leg was 100% fine and I marched in ready for my swim. The sea was not exactly flat, however it was certainly not stormy or wavy and the air temp was already around 16 degrees (sea only 15.8 degrees!!) and the sky was on its way to being blue; so different from yesterday. In I went and around all 4 buoys and then once around the pier, I kept up a decent pace and was really pleased with my technique, especially after yesterday. Coming around the other side of the pier and just passed the steps about to go under towards my own beach I was swimming on auto pilot and planning my day ahead. Therefore when Leo swam up behind me and grabbed both my legs and pulled me down it was certainly a big surprise; can’t say I jumped out the sea, but almost! Got to say though it was funny if not shocking !!
After my swim I dashed off home for a shave and shower and then into my best suit and a drive to Watford for a meeting with the top bods at Watford Football Club. I was presenting a business opportunity to them and it seemed to be taken very well; we shall see in a few days I guess. Then back to Brighton, with a quick stop in Lewes for a short meeting with a new mortgage partner and then back home for 2.30pm and a quick change into my shorts, tshirt and new running shoes and straight back onto the road.

The sensible thing of course would have been to have eaten and drunk something before heading our, especially as I had swum in the morning and then been to Watford and back and all I’d had was one cup of tea and an apple. But you know me; food and drink never been big in my life! In days past, when my years were less and I was not swimming or eating much I would have knocked out a decent run with nothing in me; it seems though that my lack of running recently, coupled with another year of grey hair and a thirst for more food (I have actually put on weight in the last month – quite a lot actually) have taken a toll on what I can do. By the 5k mark I had to stop at a Sainsbury express and buy a mars bar and a lucozade; I was light headed and feeling a lack of energy! A very new experience for me!! Anyhow, mars bar and lucozade safely in me I headed back out and finished my run; I have to confess that I had to stop another 4 times and stretch a bit, but only quick stops. It shows that I really need to eat and drink before I run. I ended up doing 16.85K in 1hr 40 minutes; not a brilliant time, but considering my day already, my lack of intake and a 22 degree heat I guess I shouldn’t beat myself up. The run took me as follows:

Up Hill Drive to Dyke Road, along Dyke Road to the 7 Dials, down New England Hill to the Fire Station, along London Road passed the Pavilion to the Palace Pier, sharp left along the beach to the Marina and through the other side of the Marina to the top road, back down the top road to the Palace Pier, along passed the West Pier all the way to the King Alfred, up Sackville Road to the top and then over and down to Hove Park, over the road to Woodland Drive, up Woodland Drive to Dyke Road, down Dyke Road to Hill Drive and fall into the shower.

Job done I think! Must remember though to eat and drink in future; time to learn that lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment