Tuesday 29 May 2012

Swimming day 491 - Tuesday 29th May 2012


Another night of not too bad from the kids; it seems letting them stay up late does have advantages for the night, although it of course impacts on your night as now I am behind on the ironing – a husbands job is not an easy one!!
This morning was again a beautiful one, with sun shining and about 16 degrees in the air.  I keep forgetting to take the sea temp, but it is certainly in double figures, probably 11.5 degrees I would guess.  Bob and swam to the silver ball then through the pier to the buoy the other side, then around and back to the silver ball, then along to the next two buoys and then back in.  Total swim about 40 minutes and none stop at a very good pace indeed; probably over a mile and quick (for us). I wore my mini flippers, which meant we stayed together the whole way, which made a nice change!
Tomorrow I believe the weather is changing slightly and may even be a bit dull and wet; surely that can’t be the end of the summer already; we’ve only had about a week!  Anyhow, we will head to the pool first thing (6.30am) and do a Bob Boot Camp.
Others at the arch were my friends LB, Mike, Bella, Charlotte, Flick and Martina.  Earlier on we passed Shoichi and Paul F swimming back from the pier with the fishing rods (fishing bamboo sticks to be precise); with two catches apiece; England 2/Japan two – the arch version of European Song Contest!
Now dashing of to the train for a work day in London; joy!!  At least I got to start the day the way I like even if I have end it the way  don’t like!

4.30pm – After London, a hot sticky day, I headed back to Brighton, arriving at 3.30pm.  Rather that go back to the office with no energy behind me, I headed straight back to the beach – what else is a boy supposed to do! With wet trunks back on I repeated this mornings swim (minus Bog Bob), and then at the head of the pier headed along the buoys and along our beach and over to the next one and onto the Brighton Centre.  Then retraced along the buoys and then back to shore.   On the way back, at the buoys near the silver buoy I heard someone calling “excuse me” in a rather strong “asian” accent.  A few feet away this chap was bobbing about in the water.  He was looking relaxed, but I think he was a little unhappy about being there.  I swam over to him and asked if he was ok and he very proudly said he was fine.  However he wanted to talk whilst he swam back; so I swam next to him and very calmy talked about where he was from and how long he was in Brighton etc etc.  We stopped a few times so he could get his breath and then carried on; each time he asked me how often I swam here, am I training for anything, how nice Brighton is; anything I think to take his mind from where he was.  When we go back to shore he asked me how old I was.  I replied 43.  Rather than saying thanks for sticking with me, or it’s nice to talk; he simply said “wow you’re old”.  Then he sat down on his towel next to his friend and closed his eyes.  Charming!!!!!  I almost replied saying unless he took care in the sea he’d be lucky to reach half my age.  Instead I just smiled and wandered aimlessly back to the arch!
If you get a chance check out this Blog from the lovley Bella from Btn Swimming Club - what a gal.
Also def worth checking out Bella's music; very talented young lady.

1 comment:

  1. This sort of thing will happen more often now you are old!

    ReplyDelete