Wednesday 12 October 2011

Day 356 - Wednesday 12th October 2011


Once again down my favourite place in the morning, the beautiful Brighton Beach (written without sarcasm).  No-one at the arch at 6.45am so I went in alone.  Still dark, but the light was coming up and the wind only about 30% of yesterday’s strength.  A low(ish) tide and a fairly strong but dealable tide to the east.
I went in middle of the beach and headed around the pier.  It was still a bit lumpy out there and I did find myself having some waves wash over me as far out as the end of the pier.  I really should have gone in near the west end of the beach as against the middle so that I could let the sea take me safely around the pier head. As it was I found that a couple of times I looked up and found myself facing one of the razer sharp stanchions; really heart stopping stuff, especially when you see it that close and you feel a wave behind you about to thrust you forward!  Coming back around the head I wasn’t sure whether to swim straight down and land on the safer beach or swim under the pier and head back to my beach; the tide was strong to the east and my beach is to the west.  Coming around the stairs I opted for going under the pier against the tide; my reasoning was that my shoes were on my beach and I was feeling too lazy to walk from the safe beach to my beach afterwards.  Of course that now seems like nonsense as it meant I had to battle very hard against the tide to get back instead of just letting the waves take me to shore – that is somehow how my mind works; very odd!  I swam hard, especially under the pier as the sea seemed to be coming straight at me at massive speed but eventually I broke through.  However no matter how hard I swam I couldn’t break free from the pier and eventually landed on my beach literally next to the groin by the pier; feeling rather nervous as the groin is not something you particularly want to swim into! Was nice to be back at the arch greeting my friends with all limbs intact!

No comments:

Post a Comment