Monday 27 June 2011

Day 281 - 27th June 2011

Despite a bloomin hot day and a sky of blue I am not in the sea today. Great pity as the first day in a long time when it would not be nuts to go in! However this morning I was way too tired to go swimming and this evening I will be working too late to venture out in the dark (also it is meant to storm later today).

I managed a swim Saturday, which was raining and foggy, however my legs were still hurting a lot from the Friday gym session. I did about 45 minutes in the sea at 6.00am; just to the west pier and back; a hard but decent swim. Sunday I used the gym in the morning, trying to work out the still aching legs, and then went to the beach with the family midday. We went to Hove rather than Brighton and it really was noticeable how different the shore line is in Hove rather than Brighton; much more level and much less movement by all accounts. I think our beach is probably one of the hardest in the city.

After leaving the beach at 3pm we dashed home, awaited our baby sitter and then were out the house by 4.15pm heading to the O2 Arena in London to see the fab Glee in concert; and amazing it was. Getting there however was somewhat of a channel swim in terms of challenge! Can I suggest if you ever drive to the O2 you put North Greenwich Tube Station in as the address and not simply O2. The reason is that in the centre of North Finchley there is the O2 Centre; this is a cinema ! Can you guess what I did! Over 3 hours through the centre of London on a baking hot Sunday afternoon to find ourselves at the O2 cinema; some 45 minutes away from the O2 Arena!!! Arrrrr. By the time I realised and then drove the right way it was alredy after 7.15pm. We arrived at the O2 over 4 hours after leaving home and with just minutes to spare before the show started. The drive home took just 55 minutes! On getting home to bed after midnight we were joined within the hour by all three kids and I ended up on the floor once again. Now I wonder why I was too tired to swim this morning.

On a sad note, two men died swimming this weekend; both bodies found near the Marina. One was in his 20s and one in his 50s; unrelated to each other apparently. The sea is a dangerous place indeed.

On yet another note, my friend Angus, who is swimming the channel this July (the same week I was meant to and his third attempt to go in 3 years) is worried about the temperature and has said that it would be madness to go in 2 weeks with the temperatures as they are. Angus has been training so hard for 3 years and unlike me he has not had an eating problem and has been able to pile on the pounds as well as pilling on the miles; very inspirational chap; certainly someone capable of completing the solo that eluded me. To think that the cold temperatures might delay even him shows me that I would have lasted no more than a few hours. Angus, if you are reading this, then I am sending you all the warmth I can for a hot sea and a successful swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment