Wednesday 15 June 2011

Day 274 - Wednesday 15th June

A swimming blog today; that will make a change after my “self counselling” blogs of the last few days! Mind now firmly back where it needs to be and forging ahead with training to complete my two challenges; channel relay and 21 miles coastal swim.

Last night after work I had an hour at Falmer with Ross in the gym and boy oh boy did he push me on those muscles! By the time I got home at 5.30pm my arms were literally down by my sides. However, no stopping there, so on with the running shoes and a speedy 5k to finish off the night.

This morning, after a semi restless sleep I was back at the Arch for 7.00am and in the sea by 7.05am (speedy change into my trunks as usual). Not many at the Arch this morning, however, a friendly greeting from Evo and David, both of whom told me that they were relieved I was going for a relay and not the solo as they were worried about my health. It is nice to be around people who genuinely care for your well being and who understand the challenges of swimming. I was joined in the swim today by Big Bob and James and we headed off for a twice around the pier; beach to beach to beach. We started off with me about 25 metres behind them on the first circuit round and then ended up with me landing back on our beach about 25 metres ahead of them; so fairly even stevens on speed. The first circuit was exactly 21 minutes beach to beach and then the second circuit back around to the beach the other side took a further 27 minutes; I guess we were more tired and against the tide more coming back. The temperature today as recorded on my watch was 13.8 degree as an average; still very cold. Looking back over my blog to 15th 2010 (a year ago to the day) the temperature was 14.5 degrees; so it was almost 1 degree warmer last year on this day, quite a big difference.

The rest of today is time at the office right now, then off to London for a 2.30pm meeting, then back to Brighton for a quick 10k run and then tonight to the marina to see the new XMen movie.

So many nice supportive emails from people, some close friends & family, and people who have been kind enough to follow my blog and support me on this journey; it’s because of all these positive messages of support that I am now starting to feel better again in my mind today (at last).

No comments:

Post a Comment