Wednesday 4 July 2012

Swimming day 512 - Wednesday 4th July 2012



 
 34 days to go…
Happy Independence Day (that’s for all of my American brethrens out there).
Yesterday after work (and that was after an hour in the pool with Bob in the morning and then a full and very busy day at work) I went to the beach.  No-one there but me so I headed into a fairly warmish sea and a low tide and swam up and around the palace pier, through it at the middle and then onwards to the West Pier and to the Red buoy at the end, then turned back and headed straight back to the palace pier and went around the head of it again and then back down the side all the way near the end, then through back to my beach and landed safely ashore.   Total swim 1hr 20 minutes.  Afterwards back at the arch I had a nice hot shower and got dressed just as Leo came in from his late afternoon swim, then I headed to the donut shop on the pier.  Having purchased two very hot and wonderfully sugared donuts I wandered back down the prom to my car; so very Brighton!  So far a boring story you might think.  But then the birds turned!!  Arggggghhhhh – blooming seagulls dived bombed me; two straight into my head and the other two nicked my bag of donuts and then they all flew off!  Seriously, it actually happened.  People stopped and watched the theft but no-one called the police.  A council worker on street sweeping duty came over to me to tell me that the same thing happened to him a few minutes before when they nicked his bag of chips!  What’s the world coming to when you get mugged by the birds!
Back to today -------   Why has Mia decide that sleeping sideways is a good thing!  After joining us around midnight she basically spent the next five hours turning around and around like a spinning ball; each turn producing a kick or a poke into my back or head.  That’s it; tonight I take her back to her room as many times as it takes otherwise I will end up being more bruised than a welterweight against a heavy weight.
At the arch by 6.45am and in the sea with Big Bob, Dr Sean & Yvo  and headed around the pier in a very bouncy sea again.  It’s strange because on a low tide with no wind like this morning (and in fact the same as last nights swim) it looks as though it will be a calm and easy swim.  However when you are laying down flat in the sea every little movement can feel enlarged by multiples of ten.  Heading up and around the pier it was so bumpy that you just couldn’t get a rhythm going and it seemed no matter which way you turned you were swallowing water and being buffeted around.  The temperature was down again to under 15 degrees (around 14.8) and the air, whilst warm, was rather dark still.  Despite that it was a good workout and I was most pleased when Bob and Sean suggested a coffee at the roaster afterwards; a well deserved mid week treat, especially after my bird mugging last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment