Thursday 30 December 2010

Swimming day 158 - 30th December 2010

Another "weather" day much like yesterday; fog, mist, light rain - just as one loves and expects in the winter! I had a bit of a rush on this morning as it was a disturbed night and it made me over sleep, which is something I never ever do. Last night at about 1am Asher called us as he had wet the bed (something he has been doing on and off for a while now). So it was a change of sheets, change of PJs and then a short negotiation about him staying in his room or sleeping in ours; of course he won and we had the pleasure of Mr SnoreAlot next to us for the rest of the night. Then at 3am the door opens and in comes Jesse, straight over to me, jumping onto the bed and spending the next two hours wriggling and worming all over me until I am almost on the floor. Then 5am taking him back to his bed (luckily Mia slept through all this) and at last returning to mine; Asher still of course snoring like a gruffalo!

So when I next awoke it was a very late 7.20am! This meant a mad dash, a quick dress, a jump into the car, a rush to the Arch and in the sea by 7.40am; not bad eh!!

The sea itself was fairly calm, with just a few large waves at the shore, one which grabbed me and turned me over as I was coming back out, charming!! I only spent about 6-7 minutes in the sea this morning, but it was long enough to wake me up! The temperature reading was 5.2 degrees, so not as bone chilling as last week (in the words of Little Bob), but still cold enough to chill.

Tomorrow is New Years Eve, so soon it'll be back to the start of another year and the start of some very hard physical training for me; I am ready for it now though.

As for the rest of today, it'll be a sad one I think. A very dear and old friend of mine lost his Father over Christmas, he was a similar age to my Father when I lost him four years ago. Today is the funeral, which will be very sad for his family, but also no doubt will bring back some tough memories for me as it was the same time of year that I lost Dad. I guess this is what life is all about; learning to deal with loss and be able to understand that life just has to carry on regardless and we simply have to learn to remember and focus on all the good stuff that we shared and not focus on the sadness of our loss. All that aside I still desparatly miss Dad every day!

1 comment:

  1. Start the New Year with an early swim on Jan 1st, you know it makes sense!
    My Dad died in the snowy days of Feb 2008, similar weather and Feb always rings it back - a good thing too!

    ReplyDelete