Friday 24 December 2010

Swimming day 154 - Christmas Eve 2010

This morning was my last swim before Christmas, but I do expect to be swimming Boxing day. I have been “humming and haring” about swimming tomorrow, especially as my morning friends will be there at 8am (before the once a year swimmers at 11am) , but Sharon feels it wouldn’t be fair to our kiddies to drag them to the beach at 8am in the cold when all they will want to do is see what Santa has brought them (Nintendo DS for Asher, A Choo Choo for Jessie and a Pepper Pig for Mia - luckily they can't read my blog!!). I guess considering they are still so young she is quite right, and personally there is no way I am going to leave them Christmas morning, not even for 5 minutes.

The sea today was around the same as yesterday (3.5 degrees); it may even have been a little lower, perhaps 3.4 or 3.3. However added to this was a chill wind that was blowing from the West and this made it feel seriously colder; really chilling down to the bone. Then added to that was the fact that the sea once again just couldn’t be bothered to get close to the beach and as such we had the long painful walk out to a swimming depth; Chinese torture comes to mind! Big Bob wasn’t there as he is now away for Christmas, however Little Bob (really got to find a better name for him as it doesn’t sound flattering – suggestions welcome please!) was there along with Damien, Mike, Soweichi, David, Bella, Martine and Charlotte ; so a decent turnout. As it was Christmas Eve I thought I’d make the extra effort and as such swam out past the middle of the pier, around the buoy (which is about two thirds out) and then back in. Damien and Soweichi did the same; we were the three freezketeers.

I guess we were out for about 14 minutes and by the time I got back my hands and feet were really hurting; I really should get some gloves to swim in like the others have as they didn’t look in anywhere as much pain as I was in.
I know it all sounds a bit mad and begs the question “why”, but the feeling of accomplishment, along with the incredible scenery around you at that time of the morning and the comradeship at the Arch makes the whole thing more than worthwhile.

Now I’m nearing the end of this year it’s really interesting to look back over my blog from the first day back in April to now and to see how far I’ve come on this journey and all the new friends I’ve made along the way; I truly believe friends for life. It won’t be long before my channel swim is upon me, which is quite daunting, but for now I’ll sit back over Christmas, raise a large scotch to my Dad up there and just enjoy my accomplishments so far.
Happy Christmas Tiny Tim, Little Bob and one and all. !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment