Thursday 23 December 2010

Day 153 December 2010

Coldest ever swim so far for me; a chilling 3.5 degrees in the sea and 1 degree in the air.

Being 23rd December there was Christmas spirits at the Arch, with homemade flapjack and homemade mince pies for everyone; both of which went down well after the swim. It was also great to see Fiona back with us as I havn’t seen her for about a month; of course Fiona being Fiona meant that she went straight back in, did the longest swim out of all of us and then did some butterfly back; gotta love her.

The sea was once again very calm, although it was also a low tide, which was a real pain (literally). It meant a painful long walk out to get to a swimming depth, which by the time you reached it you were already cold enough to go straight back in. I swam about 7 minutes I guess, but that was enough for me. Today it was so cold that my left hand wrist really ached. I broke this wrist about 15 years ago and it never healed (that was how I found out I had osteoporosis), and whilst it never gives me any problems, the cold clearly got into it today and after about 5 minutes it really started to ache – I guess 3.5 degrees is cold enough to really get right into your bones. Apparently back in 1999 the temperature in the sea got as low as 1.9 degrees; I almost can’t even imagine that!

Christmas eve tomorrow, how exciting!!

1 comment:

  1. Best mince pies ever, and b****y good flapjack, pity about the sea bit first!

    ReplyDelete