Monday 20 December 2010

Day 150 – 20th December 2010


I got “sleeted” this morning!

It snowed all weekend, so once again we have icy roads, pretty roofs and a traditional Christmas feel just like we used to get was I was a kid. Unlike last year, however, the roads are totally useable, so as long as you go slow you can get about no problem, which meant that no excuses available this morning for my swim. Walking down the beach in my trunks it was a somewhat odd feeling to be hit from all sides with sleet. It felt like thousands of ice cold needles tapping at your skin, which oddly enough was not overly offensive; although I wouldn’t go as far as to say it was enjoyable. The water was 4.1 degrees, which in centigrade is below 40 (I believe it is 39.5 or something) and the air temperature registered -2, so all in all a cold one. I swam to the donut and back, which took about 5-6 minutes and by the time I got back to the Arches my hands were seriously hurting. After a quick shower and warm up I went with Bob and Mike to the Red Roaster for a frothy cappuccino and chat and then over to the office to start the wind down for Christmas.

Sometimes the morning swim can make you feel a little tired, but most days, like today, it readies you for day ahead and makes you feel ready to take on the world. For those willing to bear a little pain, I would wholly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment