Monday 13 September 2010

Day 93 – 11th September 2010

Five Men in their Speedos & swimming caps driving along the seafront at 7am Saturday morning – you have just entered the “Twilight Zone”!

This morning I joined Tom, Leo, Angus & Graham for a Lagoon to Palace Pier swim. We met at the Arches just before 7am, got changed and then jumped into Tom’s car. He then drove us all to Millionaire Row by just at the edge of Hove/Shoreham, he parked up and then we all jumped out and ran down to the sea. All I could think was please don’t have a car accident as this would not be easy to explain!

The sea was very rough; lots of breaking waves way out, which meant that we were constantly battered. In our favour was the fact that it was the biggest tide of the year and pulling to the East (Marina) so it made it a quick swim. However, the constant battle with the waves meant it was far from easy! Tom, Angus and Graham are superbly fast and went off at a speed, although Angus really kindly hung back at the beginning to make sure I was OK. As soon as Angus sped back off I found Leo was still with me; really good of him as he stayed with me the whole swim. It meant that the swim was more fun having him there as well as me feeling safer; also he took some amazing footage on the camera, both photos and videos (all on YouTube under ramblingwavechaser). A funny moment occurred about 20 minutes into the swim, just as we were near the King Alfred leisure centre. About three or four kite surfers came hurtling by, at incredible speed (luckily they saw us in time!) and as they flew by we all shouted out “good morning” to each other. I bet that doesn’t happen too often in rough seas about a mile out!

The swim took Angus, Tom and Graham 1 hour 6 minutes and it took Leo and I about 1 hour 10 minutes – so to be fair to us we didn’t exactly slack! I am not sure of the distance, but it will be in miles and along with the rough seas it made a very challenging, enjoyable and worthwhile swim; one I am proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment