Wednesday 6 July 2011

Day 287 - 7th July 2011

We definitely are living in England; no other country can change its weather like England can. Yesterday morning it was warm, bright and calm and then this morning it was gloomy, raining and windy.

I was at the Arch by around 7am and decided to wait a short while until others turned up; no reason other than I didn’t fancy swimming alone today. By 7.15am I was heading down the beach with Big Bob, Little Bob, Mike, David, Charlotte and Martina; seven crazy fools all fighting the wind to get to the shore. As for the rain, it was the cold type! Not much of it, but big droops and rather icy when it hit your body. The sea was very choppy, with some really big waves, but luckily the breakers at the shore were not too bad so one could get in and out very easily. Big Bob and I headed out and around the three buoys, the first buoy seeming to take an age to get to. Halfway between the first and second Bob hit something, he thought it was me, but I was a way away from him; later when we returned to the beach we saw a big pallet floating, so it was probably that, but I bet it made his heart skip a beat. Once we got to the third buoy we turned around and traced our way back around them and then headed back. By the time we got to the shore my arms, particularly my biceps, were really aching and in fact an hour on they still ache. Last night after work I headed to the gym and had an hour with Ross and it was all on shoulders and biceps as I’m trying to now build up my strength for faster power swims. After the gym I did an hour in the outside pool and pushed myself as hard as I have done for months. After that I did a 7 miles “fast” run around the streets. By the time I got home I actually felt physically sick and had to sit in the shower for a few minutes until it passed; I haven’t felt that like form training in years. Therefore it’s no wonder my arms and biceps ach after all that and then getting to the beach today and tackling a busy sea. All that aside, I have to say that I really enjoyed the swim today as not only did it stretch me out, a kind of “hare of the dog” for exercise, but it was one of those swims where you were really battling the elements but in a fairly safe and comfortable way. More days like today (without the rain!) would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment