Friday 9 December 2011

Swimming day 386 - Friday 9th December 2011


Yesterday afternoon the wind was ferocious with much of the country getting battered; in some parts the wind turbines were spinning so fast that they caught fire!  Driving down the seafront in the afternoon I had to pull over and watch the sea, the same sea we braved that morning.  Only now it was as if world war three had started under the surface; magnificent to watch and deadly to be in.  Leaving the seafront inspired by the action in the sea I took myself to the gym and did a massive 90 minute work out followed by a 30 minute swim. 
This morning, with the wind almost gone, I headed to the arch to find that even though the wind had gone the sea was still kicking up a bit of a fuss; nothing too mental, but a fuss nevertheless.  A few of us headed to the shore on our beach and I watched as Bob, Sean, James, Mike & Leo headed in.  I stood watching for about 20 seconds too long and by that time (and it can happen that quickly) the waves suddenly opened up and I was faced with about 2 minutes of just standing there trying to find my moment.  Meanwhile Bob & Co had been spun a couple of times and were now out in the depths waiting for me.  I found my moment and went for it; the cold hit me like a brick wall.  I had to keep going as otherwise would have been hit by the next succession of waves, but it was painful and hard to do.  It seemed that the madness of yesterday brought cold waters into our shore.  Reaching them a minute later Bob and I headed west, Leo headed to the silver ball and the others all headed back in to shore and the luke warm shower at the arch.  Bob and I made it across our beach to the next beach along, but then turned and came back as fast as we could; not only was it extremely cold but the sea was getting bigger and bigger by the second.  Safely landed on our beach a few minutes later (total swim about 14 minutes and temperature UNDER 7 degrees) we painfully walked up the stones to the arch.  The walk hurt a lot; our feet were so cold from the sea and the stones that every step was an ouch step. 
After we were all showered and dressed it was off to the Roaster for the best coffee in Brighton and a reflection on yet another crazy start to the day and another crazy end to the week.
Now, mid afternoon, the sun is shining, the wind has gone and no doubt the sea is as calm as a sleeping baby.  But that baby can wake at any time and then step back and watch all hell break loose!!

No comments:

Post a Comment