Monday 5 December 2011

Swimming Day 382 - 5th December 2011


5th December seems to come around so quickly for me; it is the anniversary of losing Dad, this year being the fifth year.  It is inconceivable to me that it’s been 5 years; so very much has happened in that time that it’s hard to think Dad wasn’t here for it; the Twins being born, the Starr Trust being set up, house moves, the changes at Seico and my Swimming career just to name a few.  I hang on to the fact that whilst he’s not here with us he still participates in it all, if not guiding it forward still.  I miss you Dad and always will.
The beach was cccccold today.  Air temperature about 2 degrees and sea temperature registered at just 8.3 degrees.  Walking down the beach to the shore it looked a little choppy only, but when we stood at the beach edge there were some whoppers heading in and crashing; the sea was coming so far up that we were standing way up the beach.  So we headed to the girly beach instead; the walk from beach to beach was cold enough to put some people of going in altogether.  Unusually there were more non swimmers than swimmers today; with just three of us going in and 6 others standing on the shore in their costumes.  We swam as far as the café and then headed back in.  Coming back up the beach afterwards my feet were really starting to ache from the cold and my hands were slightly numb (still are in fact).  I fear my swimming around the pier days are over now until next May; which is a long time to wait; hopefully though a day will appear when it’s not too cold in the air and the sea is pancake flat and I’ll persuade Big Bob to join me for a fast swim around.  Until then though, as in the wise words of Little Bob, it’s Micro swims for all but the very hardy and very lardy.
Other news is that today I sign a significant contract for work, something that is rather life changing in many ways for me, especially after 20 years. Something I shan’t elaborate on, but something that could be the making or breaking of me workwise; sometimes one needs to take the leap and see if one can reach the other side safely.  So hear I go; best feet forward.  Funny how it has fallen on 5th December; divine plans maybe?
Trust news are two exciting events.  Firstly I have a meeting today with a new Patron; jazz supreme Claire Martin.  She has agreed to be a Star Trust  Patron and wants to really do things to get involved and help us; very exciting for me, especially as Dad was a great fan of Clair’s.  Secondly, and this is really something, our CHOCS schools project has taken a  massive leap forward.  As from next year Shoreham Academy are not only joining us as CHOCS partners but they are actually including CHOCS as part of their curriculum. This is astonishing!  I planned (hoped) for this by 2015 at the earliest; I never expected we could get there this quickly.  It is the start of us taking CHOCS nationwide and having it included as a chosen subject in schools.  Now the hard work starts, but boy oh boy is it exciting!

1 comment:

  1. 5th December sounds like an iconic date and for the very best of reasons bringing great memories to the fore, as well as good vibes for future success, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete