Thursday 13 January 2011

Day 168 - 13th January 2011



So what did the 13th of January 2011 bring? Well for starters it brought back the Pilchards! This morning, driving to the beach, the fog, rain and mist were so thick that I could hardly see a foot in front of me. In the Arch I found Soweichi waiting patiently for someone else to come as it was simply too dark and dangerous to solo swim. Pretty soon there was also Little Bob, Big Bob, he who can’t be named (who stayed out of the water), Martina, Bella, Mike and the return of Angus, my fellow channel attempter. We headed straight to the other beach as Big Bob thought (against my advice!!) that this would be easier. For some reason my instinct told me that our beach would be easier today; it seems I was right. The other beach, instead of being calmed by the pier, was in a foul mood and kicking up a crazy storm. So off we headed to the unusual safety of our own beach. To be honest our beach was not much better! The waves were constant and full of water! I know that sounds silly, but sometimes the waves may be big but they can also be shallow in their strength. Today though they were big and very full, which meant huge walls of water crashing onto the beach. A few times we edged in and out, but ultimately we all wanted to come out alive, so it meant we stayed at the shore and just got pelted and pounded there instead.

Little Bob, being "Head Pilchard" at the Arch, was the first to lie down, however, he was soon followed by the others. Personally I didn’t feel pilchardy today, so I only joined them when the waves took my legs out! By the time we got back to the Arch I think that between us we were carrying about 3 tons of stones in our shoes and our swimming trunks and we were probably sporting about a thousand little bruises where the stones had simply been pummelled into us; it was probably the best overall exfoliating any of us has ever experienced.

On another note, last night at the gym I twisted oddly when I was doing some lunges and ended up with a strain in my hip flexer (who knew I even had one!). It’s a muscle near the hip that is connected to a rather large band. It meant that I could only walk on it after much stretching, and even then it was painful. Walking down the beach today it was really painful, but the pounding waves and cold temperature (5.7 degrees – so getting better) seemed to help a lot. It still hurts, but a lot less. Once again the sea, in all its glory, is a good curer of pains and aches. I think a trip to Kim, my physioterrorist is on the cards!

Fiona - sorry sorry sorry !!! I didn't realise you were waiting for me at the pool for a long swim; really I didn't!! Please don't be too angry with me; but if you are then I will let you get your whip out and beat me, but only if you wear the leather boots of course!

All in all though a safe, but bruising start to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment