Monday 24 January 2011

Day 175 - 24th January 2011


After the adventure of Saturday it was good to be back in the discomfort of our own little Arch in Brighton.

The day started dry and the sea very calm. The tide was so low this morning that it took a few metres before we could get under, but once under it was a decent swim. Little Bob and Mike, firmly back from their success as International finalists, took their usual 30 second dip (I am sure they think it’s longer!!) whilst Big Bob and I swam all the way out to the helter skelter; the farthest out we have swum since the summer faded away. The water temperature was still a shocking 4.5 degrees, so going out that far is not to be scoffed at. Coming back from the helter skelter I did wonder how soon it would be before I could put my feet down! After about 10 minutes my arms were feeling very heavy indeed and my breathing was starting to labour and my chest starting to tighten, however, 4 minutes after that we were standing firmly on the sand and walking back in. A really decent swim in very cold water really does set me up for the day; doing it with my buddy Bob makes it all the more fun.

Back at the office at 8.05am, late for my 8.00am meeting, I ended up sitting in the meeting with my old jumper, woolly hat and gloves still on; luckily despite my feet and hands (and other bits) still shivering , my brain was warm and firing on all cylinders. I guess from a meeting point of view, it made my visitors think insurance broking is not such a dull thing after all!

One bit of great news on the fundraising front is the Brighton Sea Life centre is sponsoring me, as long as I swim in their pool with their sharks! Sounds like fun to me, as long as they’ve eaten first! To add a bit more sponsorship to this we are auctioning off my body parts! The swim is on 11th May 2011 (which happens to be my 42nd birthday) and people can pay whatever they want to secure a part of my body if the shark’s pull me apart. With this in mind a good friend of mine (and one of my biggest clients) has sponsored £5,000 ! He has not yet chosen which part he wants! I’m not sure any part of me is big enough to warrant such an incredible donation; I guess that’s a question only my wife is allowed to answer!!!!

After work this afternoon I’m back in the Gym with Ross and then the week starts all over!

And yes Katie, you can all come and watch me be fed to the sharks!!

1 comment: