Thursday 6 January 2011

Day 163 - 6th January 2011

One thing I forgot about pool swimming was the immediate cold, stuffed nose and bad throat I get! I have been sea swimming only for the last 6 weeks and even in 3.5 degree temperature & snow I have not had even the slightest of colds. I’ve done one 3 hour pool swim (yesterday) and here I am with a bad throat and a 100% blocked nose. I’ll have to get a nose clip for next week as that might help, but ultimately there must be some kind of supplement or homeopathic remedy that I can take that will lessen or stop the effects, otherwise I will be feeling like this all through the winter until the sea warms up enough for long swims! Any ideas more than welcome please?

Despite this problem, I hit the pool again this morning; silly I know, but silly I can be! I’ve got an 8am meeting today that will last the entire day, so I decided a morning pool swim for an hour from 6.30am – 7.30am was better than a pitch black solo sea swim in the pouring rain. This has certainly not helped my blocked nose, but at least it was safer and did mean an actual swim took place. The pool was empty apart from two other people, both of who stayed in the low lane, so for my hour I had the lane to myself. Of course it took me almost the whole hour to find my rhythm and then I had to get out, but at least I swam for an hour.

Tomorrow I am most definitely firmly back in the sea! I need the cold, the waves and the darkness as it seems so much better for me than the warm, light and friendly pool – now that is odd!!

No comments:

Post a Comment