Tuesday 16 November 2010

Day 132 – 16th November 2010

Today was much like yesterday in terms of temperature and conditions, although as usual the actual swim cannot be compared to yesterday as each day is very much governed by so many things, not least one’s own feelings that day. For me today was a much “nicer” swim than yesterday although that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it yesterday as well. Today was very much a colour day; it really is incredible the colours one sees when one is in the sea. The sun was a reddygold, the pier was almost maroon, the sea was kind of milky, the clouds were virtually opaque, the sky was a mixture of light blue and dusk all swirled together; seriously a really poetic colourful morning. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought sea swimming could evoke so many emotions and thoughts just through the colours, quite something.

As for the actual swim itself; Bob and I went around the pier again, keeping a steady pace I think it took us about 26 minutes. In this temperature that is a decent pace; we even stopped briefly a couple of times to chat (only briefly though as you don’t in want to be hanging around in this temperature). It was funny actually because when we stopped around the head of the pier to chat I could still see our breath in the air. The temperature walking down the beach was circa 3 degrees and the temp in the water was probably about 10.5 degrees. Coming out we met Simon on the beach, and the three of us walked back up to the Arch; my feet at this time was so cold that they actually hurt. It seems that I can take the cold OK in my body; my face hurts when I get in but soon warms up, however my feet are the issue. They get really cold very quickly and then start to hurt when we come out of the sea and walk up the beach. Now, some 70 minutes later, I am at the office and my right for (little toe particularly) is still a mixture of being numb and painful. I guess I should consider wearing swimming socks again, but I really want to put that off as long as I can as I really don’t love the feeling of swimming in gloves or socks. There is talk about a wet suit for the winter so we can stay out in the sea longer; but I really am not sure I’ll do that; I really want to stay just in my trunks if I can.

Off to London in a minute for a day of meetings, hopefully my feet will warm up soon. Also I have got this ridiculous swimming cap line around my forehead, it looks weird to say the least! I desperately hope it fades for my first meeting; can you imagine walking into a high powered London meeting with a dent around your head – nice!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it will match the swimming dent that now exists inside your head! Have a good day of meetings - I'm sure the toffs in the smoke will be impressed if they ask you what caused the dent in the first place! Darren

    ReplyDelete