Friday 3 August 2012

Swimming day 532 - Friday 3rd August 2012


5 days to go…
Having been off the sauce for some time I hit the bottle last night; oh dear!  Let’s just say an incident at work with a member of staff letting me down very badly made me turn to the bottle!  Two cold beers and two very large whiskeys later I was more relaxed with life.  Sleep was fine (I wonder why!), but the head and stomach were a tad shaky this morning.  Definitely the last drink until the swim is over.
The sea this morning was nicely warm at 16.4 degrees; actually felt warm for the first time this year.  A very low tide and a very high sand bank let me stand with both feet flat on the ground and the sea only to my chest right next to the second buoy; that has never happened before – was I perhaps in a state of such peace and calm that I floated up without realising?  Despite the low tide and also an almost stationary tide, the waves were very choppy indeed.  After leaving the second buoy Bob and I headed around the pier and it was bump slap bump slap all the way.  He and I took completely different routes, with him heading straight to the pier and up along the side and with me heading straight out to sea and then along to the pier; we still met at exactly the same moment at the head and even crashed into each other; with the entire sea before us and heading in from different places we converged on exactly the same spot as if it were a target; funny really that this happens.  Olympic Gold for the swim target shooting!!
A good strong swim followed by a very strong coffee made for a good end to a tough week.  I know I’ve still got today ahead, but I have the feeling it’ll be OK!! A gym session with Ross after work (last before my swim as I’ll leave next week clear until after the relay)  and then home for a relaxing evening with a good book (no pipe or slippers as I’m not yet the age of LB or BB). 
Last night I laid out all the stuff I need to take on the swim.  It was really odd getting my bag together after almost 2½ years in preparation.  Butterflies were flittering in my stomach throughout and probably now will remain with me until after it’s completed (please god!).
Next week marks the Relay week, amazing!

1 comment:

  1. I can lend you some slippers but not a pipe - you need to be even older and produce ID for that! LB

    ReplyDelete