Wednesday 1 August 2012

Swimming day 530 - Wednesday 1st August 2012


7 days to go…
A week today and game on (weather permitting of course).  If all goes well my final blog will be in 8 days times and I will be looking back over the last couple of years with some wonder; everything that can be crossed is being crossed by me at the moment.
Back to reality …..  Last night was “once again” busy at home with Jesse for some reason joining Mia in our room – just as we thought he had nailed it!!  By around 1am ish I was receiving physio treatment in my back and neck by Mia; thump thump, dig dig, thump, dig, push, pull; the full works.  She may only be 4 years old but boy can she kick and pull; a true physiotherapist in the making.
I was at the seafront by 6.45am and walking with Flick and Bog Bob to the arch.  It was busy there for a change; David, LB, BB, Me, Flick, Damien, James, Mark, Martina, Charlotte, Naomi and about another 4 or 5 I can’t remember.  It was nice to get some life back in the old place again after so many quiet months.  As for the swim today; Bob wasn’t feeling totally great and as such not wanting to push it too much, which suited me as I am in my last week of training and wanting to tail it down a bit.  So we headed out to the first buoy, rest, then the second buoy, rest, then the third buoy by the pier, rest and then diagonal back to the first buoy and rest!  At the last buoy I raised my goggles to my head and let the sea slowly bring me to shore.  I’ve never done that before and let just the sea take me in without any swimming at all; it was strange to do that as instinctively you want to kick, but it was nice all the same and very calm.  The thing about the sea in Brighton is that when we say that the tide is coming in or going out what we mean is East to West or West to East (left to right or right to left).  Many places the sea genuinely pulls you in and out, but in Brighton you will go left or right (or right to left) rather than out to sea.  The natural pull is to bring you in.  The lesson  is that if you are ever in the sea in Brighton and are too tired to swim in, don’t panic, just relax and let the sea do it’s thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment